Call us at: (833) 577-8387
Decoration Texture

Veteran Benefits for Oregon

Veteran Benefits for Oregon

Oregon offers special benefits for Service members, Veterans and their families including, state employment preferences, education and tuition assistance, vehicle tags, Oregon Parks and Recreation Special Access Pass for Veterans and Service members, as well as hunting and fishing license privileges. Eligibility for some benefits may depend on residency, military component, and Veteran disability status. The following are benefits for the state of Oregon.

Oregon Veteran Financial Benefits

  • Oregon Military Retired Pay Income Taxes: Retired Service members can subtract military retired pay earned for service before 1 October 1991 from their Oregon income taxes. Any military retired pay earned on 1 October 1991 or after may not be subtracted.

If service includes months before and after 1 October 1991, retired service members can subtract a percentage of their pension income. To determine the percentage, divide the months of service before 1 October 1991 by the total months of service. Percentages must be rounded to three places (0.4576 = 45.8%).

Once a Service member retires withdrawals from their Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) account, they are eligible for the subtraction based on dates of service. Withdrawals before retirement are not eligible for a subtraction. If the taxpayer moves money from a TSP to another type of account, the account is no longer a federal pension, and future withdrawals are not eligible for the subtraction.

  • Oregon Military Pay Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) Subtractions: Oregon offers the following AGI subtractions for military pay received by resident Service members:
  • Military pay earned by resident Service members stationed outside Oregon is not taxed.
  • Military pay earned by National Guard and U.S. Armed Forces Reserve Service members assigned away from home for 21 days or more is not taxed.
  • Any remaining taxable military income after taking the above subtractions is eligible for up to a $6,000 subtraction.

Oregon does not tax military pay or allowances not included in federal AGI.

  • Oregon Nonresident Military Spouse Tax Exemption: Nonresident military spouses do not have to pay Oregon income tax for wages earned in Oregon.
  • Oregon Taxes on Military Disability Retirement Pay: Military Disability Retirement Pay received as a pension, annuity, or similar allowance for personal injury or sickness resulting from active service in the U.S. Armed Forces should not be included in taxable income. Some of the payments that are considered disability benefits include:
    • Disability compensation and pension payments for disabilities paid to Veterans or their families
    • Grants for homes designed for wheelchair living
    • Grants for motor vehicles for Veterans who lost their sight or the use of limbs or
    • Benefits under a dependent-care assistance program


  • Oregon State Taxes on U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Disability Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC): DIC is a tax-free monetary benefit paid to eligible survivors of Service members who died in the line of duty or eligible survivors of Veterans whose death resulted from a service-connected injury or disease.
  • Military Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP)/ Reserve Component Survivor Benefit Plan (RCSBP)/ Retired Serviceman’s Family Protection Plan (RSFPP) Oregon State Tax Benefits: The Surviving spouse of a deceased Service member can subtract SBP, RCSBP, and RSFPP annuities for service before 1 October 1991 from their Oregon income taxes. Any annuities received for service after 1 October 1991 may not be subtracted.
    • If service includes months before and after 1 October 1991, surviving spouses can subtract a percentage of their pension income. To determine the percentage, divide the months of service before 1 October 1991 by the total months of service. Percentages must be rounded to three places (0.4576 = 45.8%).
  • Disabled Veteran or Surviving Spouse Oregon Homestead Property Tax Exemptions: Oregon offers property tax exemptions of $24,071 or $28,886 for disabled Veterans and their Surviving spouse / Partner on their homestead’s assessed value for property taxes. Veterans and their Surviving spouse (or registered domestic partner) must own and live at the homestead property to be eligible.

Sales Tax:

  • Statewide: None
  • Gasoline Tax: 55.22 cents/gallon (includes all state, local, and federal taxes)
  • Diesel Fuel Tax: 60.45 cents/gallon (includes all state, local, and federal taxes)


  • Free Oregon Hunting, Angling, and Shellfish License for Disabled Veterans: Oregon resident disabled Veterans are eligible for a free combination license that includes hunting, fishing, shellfish licenses, Columbia River Basin Endorsement, and a $25 elk tag. This license must be renewed every year.
  • Oregon Disabilities Hunting and Fishing Permit: The Oregon Disabilities Hunting and Fishing Permit is not a license or tag but offers additional privileges to accommodate an individual’s disabilities. This permit is valid for five years.

    Oregon Disabilities Hunting and Fishing Permit offers the following privileges:

    • Fish with the assistance of another person
    • Fish from an anchored craft in waters where fishing from a floating device is prohibited
    • Fish using an electric-powered reel that may be kept in a rod holder when fishing and landing fish
    • Fish during open fishing seasons from the Nehalem Hatchery Barrier Free Fishing Platform on the North Fork Nehalem River
    • Clam dig with the assistance of another person
    • Hunt from a parked motor-propelled vehicle (except on public roads)
    • Hunt with the assistance of another person
  • Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife Service Member and Veteran Benefits: Oregon offers several benefits for Service members serving in the U.S. Armed Forces and Veterans:

    Veterans and Service Members Waterfowl Hunt:  Only Veterans and Service members in an active or reserve component of the U.S. Armed Forces serving on federal active duty (other than for training) can hunt waterfowl on February 4, 2023. Hunters must have proof when hunting that they are veterans or active duty Service members and must have all usual licenses and validations.

    Reduced Price Hunting Licenses for Resident Service Members: Oregon resident Service members can purchase big game and game bird hunting licenses for $17 and may purchase a general season tag after the deadline without a late fee.

    Nonresident Service Members Can Purchase Resident Licenses: Nonresident Service members can purchase Oregon hunting, fishing, or shellfish licenses at resident prices.

    Controlled Deer, Elk, and Bear Tags for Service Members on Leave in Oregon:  Oregon resident Service members stationed outside Oregon and at home on leave are eligible for controlled deer, elk, and bear tags.

    Each Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife (ODFW) District Office is authorized to issue up to 20 controlled deer, elk, and bear tags to service members’ homes on leave during hunting season. To purchase a tag, Service members must provide the following information to the local ODFW District office responsible for issuing the tag:

    • Copy of active duty military ID
    • Copy of current leave papers
    • Valid Oregon resident hunting license
    • Tags are issued on a first-come, first-served basis. Please note that districts can only issue tags for controlled hunts in their area. Service members should contact the district office they are interested in hunting to determine if tags are available.
  • Oregon Parks and Recreation Special Access Pass for Veterans with Disabilities and Refunds for Active Duty Service Members on Leave: Oregon Parks and Recreation Department (OPRD) offers free camping (up to 10 nights at a single state park or a total of 10 nights in 30 days regardless of the location) at RV sites, tent campsites, standard horse campsites and free parking at day-use fee parks. This benefit does not cover yurts, cabins, special park facilities, an $8 reservation fee, or a $7 charge for a second driven vehicle.
    • Eligible disabled Veterans can apply for a Special Access Pass valid for ten years to receive their discount at the point of purchase. Eligible Service members on leave must apply for a refund.

Oregon Military & Veterans Miscellaneous Benefits

  • Oregon Veterans’ Emergency Financial Assistance Program (OVEFAP): The OVEAP provides emergency financial assistance to Veterans and their family. Assistance is granted one time only, and award amounts vary. Applicants must demonstrate they can continue paying for basic living expenses after resolving the emergency. All payments will be sent directly to creditors.

    Emergency financial assistance includes, but is not limited to:

    • Emergency or temporary housing and related housing expenses, such as expenses for utilities, insurance, house repairs
    • Rent assistance
    • Emergency medical or dental expenses
    • Emergency transportation

    Who is eligible for OVEFAP? Oregon resident Veterans discharged under honorable conditions (and their un-remarried Surviving spouse, dependent child, or stepchild) who have an immediate financial need.

Education Programs

  • Oregon National Guard State Tuition Assistance (ONGSTA): ONGSTA provides tuition assistance at Oregon postsecondary institutions for Oregon National Guard Service members. ONGSTA provides funding for in-state resident tuition rates for Oregon’s community colleges (up to 90 quarter credits), public universities, eligible private post-secondary institutions, and the Oregon Health and Science University (OHSU) (up to 180 quarter credits). Tuition is funded up to the average in-state resident tuition rate at the seven Oregon public universities. ONGSTA also provides a book allowance of up to $1,000 per academic year and will pay certain fees up to the following amounts:
    • Oregon Community Colleges – $361 per term
    • Oregon Public Universities, including OHSU – $716 per term
    • Eligible Oregon Private Colleges – $526 per semester term, $351 per quarter term

    ONGSTA is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis until all available funds are used. Calculations for ONGSTA tuition assistance are determined after Department of Defense-funded Federal Tuition Assistance is applied.

    Who is eligible for ONGSTA? To be eligible, Service members must meet the following requirements:

    • Completed military basic training
    • Oregon National Guard Service member in good standing and not currently subject to adverse actions
    • Currently drilling and attending all scheduled unit training assemblies and annual training periods
    • Does not have a bachelor’s degree or higher
    • Not in default of any federal loans
    • Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher and demonstrate satisfactory academic progress
  • Oregon Resident Tuition and Fees for Nonresident Service Members and their Families: Service members serving in an active or reserve component of the U.S. Armed Forces, their spouses, and dependent children are considered Oregon residents for tuition purposes if they meet one of the following conditions:
    • Live in Oregon while assigned to a duty station there
    • Oregon resident at the time they entered the U.S. Armed Forces until they take steps to change their state of residence
    • Oregon resident Service member assigned outside of Oregon who returns to Oregon within six months of their discharge
    • Service members who continue to live in Oregon after separation from the U.S. Armed Forces may count their time spent in Oregon to meet residency requirements
  • Resident Tuition Rates When Using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits or Fry Scholarship: Veterans using VA educational benefits, students using transferred VA educational Benefits or the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship, who live in Oregon while attending an Oregon institution of higher learning, regardless of their state of residence, are charged resident tuition rates.
  • Oregon Veterans Dependent Tuition Program: This benefit provides a full tuition waiver (not fees) at an Oregon public university or college for a bachelor’s or master’s degree for the children and spouse of certain Veterans. The waiver is for the total number of attempted credit hours equal to four years of full-time attendance for a bachelor’s degree or the total number of attempted credit hours equal to two years of full-time attendance for a master’s degree.
  • Oregon Veterans Bridge Grant: The Veteran Educational Bridge Grant administered by the Oregon Department of Veterans Affairs (ODVA) provides up to $5,000 to help student Veterans achieve their educational goals. Grants are intended to provide financial support to Veterans who cannot complete their Oregon-based VA-approved academic program on time due to the unavailability of a required class.
  • Voyager Tuition Assistance Program for Oregon Resident Reserve Component Service Members: The Oregon Voyager Assistance Program Voyager is offered to Oregon resident Service members who served on active duty in the Oregon National Guard or the U.S. Armed Forces Reserves in a combat zone on or after September 11, 2001.

    Voyager is a “last dollar award,” meaning it pays after all other federal military education benefits are used. The typical maximum length of the award is four years for undergraduate programs (a fifth year may be approved under certain programs). This benefit is only available to those seeking their initial bachelor’s degree, and it carries a maximum credit limit of 15-course credits beyond the minimum needed for degree completion.

    The Voyager Tuition Assistance Program does not cover E-Campus or Distance courses. This benefit is not transferable to a Veteran’s spouse or dependents. For more information, students should contact the admission office at the school they plan to attend.

  • Darlene Hooley Scholarship for Oregon Resident Reserve Component Service Members: The Darlene Hooley Scholarship is a need-based scholarship for up to $3000 per academic year. The funds awarded are to support students while enrolled at an Oregon public university.

    Who is eligible for the Darlene Hooley Scholarship for Oregon Resident Reserve Component Service Members? To be eligible for the Darlene Hooley Scholarship, students must meet the following requirements:

    • Oregon residents currently serving or previously served in the Oregon National Guard or the U.S. Armed Forces Reserves after September 11, 2001, and if discharged, received an honorable discharge.
    • Must have been deployed overseas in support of the Global War on Terrorism
    • Enrolled in an Oregon public university
    • Must be enrolled at least half-time
  • Oregon High School Diploma for Wartime Veterans: Oregon resident Veterans who left high school before graduating to serve in the U.S. Armed Forces can request a high school diploma. Veterans can request a diploma from the school district where they live or from which they would have graduated. Diplomas may be awarded posthumously. Who is eligible for the Oregon High School Diploma for Wartime Veterans? Veterans who received an honorable discharge after one of the following periods of service:
    • Served in the U.S. Armed Forces during:
      • World War II
      • Korean War
      • Vietnam War
    • Served in the U.S. Armed Forces and was physically present in:
      • Operation Urgent Fury (Grenada)
      • Operation Just Cause (Panama)
      • Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm (the Persian Gulf War)
      • Operation Restore Hope (Somalia)
      • Operation Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan)
      • Operation Iraqi Freedom (Iraq)
    • Served in the U.S. Armed Forces in an area designated as a combat zone by the President of the U.S.


  • Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children (MIC3): The purpose of this compact is to remove barriers to educational success imposed on children of military families because of frequent moves and deployment of their parents by:
    • Facilitating the prompt enrollment of children of military families and ensuring that they are not placed at a disadvantage due to difficulty in the transfer of educational records from the previous school district or variations in entrance or age requirements
    • Facilitating the student placement process through which variations in attendance requirements, scheduling, sequencing, grading, course content, or assessment do not disadvantage children of military families. Facilitating the qualification and eligibility for enrollment, educational programs, and participation in extracurricular academic, athletic, and social activities
    • Facilitating the on-time graduation of children of military families
    • Providing for the enforcement of administrative rules implementing the provisions of this compact
    • Providing for the uniform collection and sharing of information between and among member states, schools, and military families under this compact
    • Promoting coordination between this compact and other compacts affecting military children
    • Promoting flexibility and cooperation between the educational system, parents, and the student to achieve educational success for the student


Housing: The following are the sites for Veterans Homes

  • Oregon Veterans’ Homes: Oregon has two nursing care facilities that provide care for Oregon Veterans, their spouses/Surviving spouses, and the parents of Service members who died while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces. Each of the homes provides long-term care, Alzheimer’s/dementia-related care, and inpatient and outpatient rehabilitative care.

Oregon State Veterans Home at Ardmore

Oregon State Veterans Home at Claremore

Who is eligible for care at an Oregon Veterans’ Home? To be eligible for admission at an Oregon Veterans’ Home, applicants must meet the following requirements:

  • A veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces who was discharged under general or honorable conditions
  • Spouse or Surviving spouse of an eligible Veteran
  • Gold Star Parent (parent of a Service member who died during wartime combat)

An applicant must also:

  • Be able to pay the residents’ portion of the cost of care, if any
  • Require skilled or intermediate nursing home care as determined by a physician and the VA
  • Not require medical care the Veterans’ Home cannot provide
  • Not have violent traits that may be dangerous to the resident, other residents, staff, or others

Employment and Job Training: Veteran Preference

  • Oregon Veterans’ Preference for State Employment: Oregon is required by law to provide veterans’ hiring preference for state employment to eligible veterans. Preference is also given to Veterans who are state employees for promotion to a civil service position with a higher maximum salary.

    For hiring and promotions, applicants must meet the requirements for the position, pass any initial screening requirements, and pass any required examinations. Preference is given by adding points to a veteran’s score. Veterans receive five preference points; disabled Veterans receive 10 points added to their score.

    For positions that do not have a numerical scoring system for hiring, eligible Veterans must be given special consideration in the employer’s hiring decision.

    • Veterans who are not hired can request why they were not selected for the position in writing.
  • Federal Employment Veteran’s Hiring Preferences:  Federal law mandates that Veterans, especially those with disabilities or those who served during specific time periods or in military campaigns, are granted preference over non-veterans when it comes to Federal civil service hiring and retention during workforce reductions. In various scoring processes for examinations and interviews, Veterans may be eligible for an additional 5 or 10 points.
  • 5-point Hiring Preference: Five points are added to the examination score or rating of a Veteran who served:
    • During a war, or
    • During the period April 28, 1952, through July 1, 1955, or
    • For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred after January 31, 1955, and before October 15, 1976, or
    • During the Gulf War from August 2, 1990, through January 2, 1992, or
    • For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred during the period beginning September 11, 2001, and ending on August 31, 2010, the last day of Operation Iraqi Freedom, or
    • In a campaign or expedition for which a campaign medal has been authorized. Any Armed Forces Expeditionary medal or campaign badge, including El Salvador, Lebanon, Grenada, Panama, Southwest Asia, Somalia, and Haiti, qualifies for preference

    10-point Compensable Disability (CP) Preference:  Ten points are added to the examination score or rating of a Veteran who served at any time and who has a compensable service-connected disability rating of at least 10% but less than 30%.

    10-Point 30% Compensable Disability Preference (CPS): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of a Veteran who served at any time and who has a compensable service-connected disability rating of 30% or more.

    10-Point Disability Preference (XP): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of:

    • A veteran who served at any time and has a present service-connected disability or is receiving compensation, disability retirement benefits, or pension from the military or the VA but does not qualify as a CP or CPS, or
    • Veteran who received a Purple Heart

    10-Point Derived Preference (XP): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of spouses, Surviving spouses, or mothers of Veterans. Both a mother and a spouse (including a Surviving spouse) may be entitled to preference based on the same Veteran’s service if they both meet the requirements. However, neither may receive preference if the Veteran is living and is qualified for Federal employment.

    Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of the spouse of a disabled Veteran who is disqualified for a federal position along the general lines of their usual occupation because of a service-connected disability. Such a disqualification may be presumed when the Veteran is unemployed and:

    • Is rated by appropriate military or VA authorities to be 100% disabled and/or unemployable, or
    • Has retired, been separated, or resigned from a civil service position because of a disability that is service-connected in origin, or
    • Has attempted to obtain a civil service position or other position along the lines of their usual occupation and has failed to qualify because of a service-connected disability

    Preference may be allowed in other circumstances but anything less than the above warrants a more careful analysis.

    A campaign medal holder or Gulf War Veteran who originally enlisted after September 7, 1980, (or began active duty on or after October 14, 1982, and has not previously completed 24 months of continuous active duty) must have served continuously for 24 months or the full period called or ordered to active duty. The 24-month service requirement does not apply to 10-point preference eligible Veterans separated for disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty, or to Veterans separated for hardship or other reasons under Title 10 U.S.C. 1171 or 1173.

    Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA): USERRA protects civilian job rights and benefits for Veterans and members of reserve components. USERRA also protects Service member rights and benefits by clarifying the law, improving enforcement mechanisms, and adding Federal Government employees to those employees already eligible to receive Department of Labor assistance in processing claims.

    Absence from Work for Military Duty: USERRA establishes the cumulative length of time that an individual may be absent from work for military duty and retain reemployment rights for five years. Exceptions to the five-year limit, include initial enlistments lasting more than five years, periodic National Guard and U.S. Armed Forces Reserve training duty, and involuntary active duty extensions and recalls, especially during a time of national emergency. USERRA establishes that reemployment protection does not depend on the timing, frequency, duration, or nature of an individual’s service if the basic eligibility criteria are met.

    Disability Accommodation: USERRA provides protection for disabled Veterans, requiring employers to make reasonable efforts to accommodate the disability. Service members recovering from injuries received during service or training may have up to two years from the date of completion of service to return to their jobs or apply for reemployment.

    Return to Work without Loss of Seniority:  USERRA provides that returning Service members are reemployed in the job that they would have attained had they not been absent for military service, with the same seniority, status, and pay, as well as other rights and benefits determined by seniority. USERRA also requires that reasonable efforts (such as training or retraining) be made to enable returning Service members to refresh or upgrade their skills to help them qualify for reemployment. USERRA also provides that while an individual is performing military service, they are deemed to be on a furlough or leave of absence and are entitled to the non-seniority rights accorded to other individuals on non-military leaves of absence.

    Extension of Health and Pension Plans: Health and pension plan coverage for Service members is provided for by USERRA. Individuals performing military duty of more than 30 days may elect to continue employer-sponsored health care for up to 24 months; however, they may be required to pay up to 102% of the full premium. For military service of less than 31 days, health care coverage is provided as if the Service member had remained employed. USERRA clarifies pension plan coverage by making explicit that all pension plans are protected.

    Who is eligible for USERRA Benefits? Veterans, U.S. Armed Forces Reserve or National Guard Service members who leave a position for training or active military service are eligible.

    The Department of Labor, through the Veterans’ Employment and Training Service (VETS), helps all who have claims under USERRA, including Federal and Postal Service employees.

  • Paid leave for Oregon State Employees for Military Training: Oregon State employees who are members of a reserve component of the U.S. Armed Forces are authorized 15 days of paid military leave each year for required military duty.
  • Oregon Military Family Leave Act (OMFLA): OMFLA requires Oregon businesses to provide 14 days of unpaid leave for employees who are the spouse or domestic partner of certain Service members.
  • WorkSource Oregon Employment Assistance and Priority of Service for Eligible Veterans and Spouses: WorkSource Oregon (WSO) helps Veterans, Service members who are leaving the U.S. Armed Forces, and eligible spouses by providing employment training and placement services. This assistance is provided through Local Veteran Employment Representatives (LVERs) and Disabled Veteran Outreach Program (DVOP) Specialists. LVERs and DVOPs maintain up-to-date information about employment opportunities, programs, and services available at the federal, state, and local levels and in the private sector.

    Eligible Veterans and spouses may qualify for priority of service in employment and training services. Priority of service means:

    • Receiving access to a service or resource earlier than those not eligible
    • When services or resources are limited, those eligible receive access before or instead of others

    LVERs engage with local employers to help Veterans find gainful employment. This outreach and engagement strategy includes seminars for employers and job search workshops.

    DVOP Specialists work directly with Veterans and spouses with significant barriers to employment to provide enhanced services to help them find employment. WSO staff refer eligible job seekers to the DVOP for an eligibility assessment to determine whether the Veteran or spouse is eligible for enhanced services.

  • Oregon Direct Professional Licensing for Military Experience: Oregon professional licensing agencies and boards accept military training or experience as an allowable substitution for traditional civilian education or experience required for licensure, certification, or registration.

Burials and Memorials

Please note that your preference regarding burial in a national cemetery and use of a headstone provided by VA should be documented and kept with your paperwork and medical records.

The National Cemetery Administration (NCA) pays tribute to eligible Veterans and their family members by providing a final resting place and a lasting memorial to commemorate the Veteran’s dedicated service to the nation.

The burial benefits encompass a gravesite in any of our open cemeteries with available space, the opening and closing of the grave, perpetual care, a government-furnished headstone or marker, a burial flag, and a Presidential Memorial Certificate, all at no cost to the family. Some Veterans may also meet the criteria for a burial allowance. Cremated remains are interred or inurned in national cemeteries with the same honors and respect as casketed remains.

Burial benefits extend to eligible spouses and dependents, including burial alongside the Veteran and perpetual care of the interment site. The name and relevant dates of birth and death of the spouse or dependent are inscribed on the Veteran’s headstone at no expense to the family. Importantly, spouses and qualified dependents are eligible for burial even if they pass away before the Veteran and are not required to be interred in the same national cemetery as the Veteran.

  • Oregon Military Funeral Honors Program: Oregon’s Military Funeral Honors Program helps schedule and coordinate military funeral honors for deceased veterans.

These ceremonies are free of charge and include, at a minimum, Taps and the folding and presentation of the U.S. Flag. Active Duty Service members and retired Veterans receive additional honors consisting of two or more uniformed Service members, with at least one member of the Veteran’s branch of service.

  • Who is eligible for the Oregon Military Funeral Honors Program? Military Funeral Honors are provided for deceased Service members in an active or reserve component of the U.S. Armed Forces, retired Service members, and Veterans. Family members can request Military Funeral Honors from their funeral director, who will then contact the appropriate military service to arrange for the funeral honors details.


National Cemeteries include:

Eagle Point: Eagle Point National Cemetery

Portland: Willamette National Cemetery

Roseburg: Roseburg National Cemetery

Oregon VA Benefit Resources

Oregon provides Veterans with a Regional Benefits Office and VA Medical Centers.

Oregon VA Regional Benefits Office

Oregon VA Medical Centers

Important information for Oregon Veteran Benefits:

For Veterans applying for VA benefits for the first time, you must submit a copy of your DD 214 (discharge paperwork). This will provide your discharge status, full name, social security number, branch of service, and dates for which you served. Honorable and general discharges qualify a Veteran for most VA benefits.

You should always keep your paperwork and medical records in a safe place where you and your family can access them. It is imperative to have it in a location where it cannot be destroyed or tampered with, which includes a safe.

Your eligibility for most VA benefits is based upon discharge from active military service under conditions other than dishonorable. Active service means full-time service as a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard or as a commissioned officer of the Public Health Service, the Environmental Services Administration, or the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Any Veteran discharged from the military under the conditions of “Dishonorable” due to bad conduct discharges issued by general courts-martial may bar VA benefits. Veterans in prison and parolees may be eligible for certain VA benefits. VA regional offices can clarify the eligibility of prisoners, parolees, and individuals with multiple discharges issued under differing conditions.

*This information is accurate as of November 2023

Oregon Veteran Benefits

If you are a disabled Veteran in Oregon and are VA rated 90% or less, you may be eligible for additional benefits. Contact Veterans Guardian for a free consultation with no obligation. Let us review your claim to determine whether you qualify for additional benefits.